Hosting & Domain Name Registration
Designhand offers hosting and domain registration services to Designhand customers. We can help you with the selection of your domain name right through to hosting it and building a website to sit on your new domain name.
Designhand has been an associate registrar with Orcon Limited for four years now and are able to register your domain name of your choice assuming it is freely available and has not been reserved already.
We can reserve the domain name, set up the hosting account for you and configure a number of email addresses for you or redirections to existing email services you may have. We can assist in moving a domain from another provider and reposition it on your new hosting account.
- Domain Registration - We are able to register .co.nz, .net.nz and .com domain names as well as various other New Zealand domain names associated with organisations, schools or charities. We can check for you if your preferred domain name is available and register it on your behalf or offer advice on an alternative domain name which may be just as suitable. We can handle the registration and management of your domain name and notify you when it is due for renewal.
- Hosting Account - We have a selection of hosting platforms that we use and host websites on different platforms depending on the size of the website, bandwidth required and number of email addresses or databases that you might need. We have three hosting platforms that we use to host our customers websites and will advise on what platform would best suit your needs.
- Email Addresses - When you purchase your own domain name it enables you to host your own named email addresses such as email@example.com. This provides you with a personal touch and looks a lot more professional than a yahoo, xtra or gmail address. You can have up to 5 'POP' accounts on your hosting account which is generally sufficient. We can arrange more if required.
- mySQL Databases - To establish a secure login area for your website or an element of what is called 'dynamic content' such as a dealer or stockist list that you can manage you will need a database. Designhand hosts mySQL databases on each of our hosting platforms and can set one up for you on your website. To establish an eCommerce (online shop) site you will need a database to be created.
- Plan selection - We have a fairly general style of hosting plan, up to 50MB of space we charge $25 plus GST per month and if you require databases or eCommerce functionality or are running a content management system such as Joomla or WordPress we charge $30 per month. Our plans are invoiced quarterly in advance or we offer a one month free if you pay a year in advance.